Episode 389: Your Questions Answered. Dinosaurs in Antarctica, how lengthy people would survive alongside dinosaurs within the Mesozoic, and lots of extra questions answered.
You may hearken to our free podcast, with all our episodes, on Apple Podcasts at:
We reply the next questions:
- What “Dino of the day” most shocked you / most you in researching it for an episode?
- What well-known dino area expedition would you preferred to have been a part of?
- Who of the early paleontologists do you want you might have interviewed?
- In the event you needed to take a aspect within the Bone Wars, would it not be Marsh or Cope?
- Will there ever be an opportunity that your favourite teams of dinosaurs (sauropods and ankylosaurs) might change?
- What are your favourite non-saurian extinct animals?
- Do you might have historic plant or fungal life you discover attention-grabbing?
- Did you might have a favourite dinosaur toy rising up?
- How lengthy would a human survive within the early-Triassic, mid-Jurassic, or end-Cretaceous?
- What’s the Coolest fossil you might have discovered or seen?
- What makes Velociraptor (and different feathered dinosaurs) dinosaurs and never birds?
- Which fossil most appears to be lacking from the report, however you hope or count on to be discovered? Possibly a feathered T. rex?
- What’s—and isn’t—recognized about dinosaur pores and skin? How is it recognized, delicate tissue preservation?
- Do you might have a routine for the way you do the analysis for every episode?
- Is there a particular specimen you wish to go to and see sometime?
- Have any dinosaur fossils been discovered within the in Antarctica? Is their any likelihood any pores and skin, bone and so on could possibly be locked within the permafrost?
The dinosaur of the day: Proa
- Basal iguanodont that lived within the Early Cretaceous in what’s now Teruel Province, Spain (Escucha Formation)
- Appears like different iguanodonts, with an extended tail, cumbersome physique, and will stroll on all fours
- Had a comparatively giant head and was stocky
- Estimated to be 23 to 26 ft (7 to eight m) lengthy
- Sort and solely species is Proa valdearinnoensis
- Described in 2012 by Andrew McDonald and others
- Genus title means “prow”, and refers back to the pointed form of the predentary bone (decrease jaw), that appears just like the bow on a ship
- Species title refers to Val de Ariño, the standard title for the coal mines, close to the place the fossils have been discovered
- Not less than six people discovered, together with a partial skeleton and practically full cranium (5 specimens described within the paper)
- Greater than 340 bones discovered
- Initially reported in 2005, as fragmentary stays from an indeterminate basal iguanodont
- Sister taxon to Batyrosaurus
- Distinctive options embody the predentary coming to some extent on the rostral margin (the tip)
- Helps fill a niche within the fossil report of basal European iguanodonts
- Three braincases discovered (two nicely preserved)
- CT scanned the braincases, and located that its encephalization quotient (EQ) was about 3.6, which is fairly excessive
- Helps present that there was the next EQ for a short while in some ornithopods (not simply theropods)
- Hypothesized that this larger EQ might have led to residing in teams and caring for younger
- Lived in a swampy surroundings with conifers, ferns, and flower vegetation
- Greater than 11,000 fossils discovered within the space since 2010
- Fossils present in amber within the space (usually bugs, but in addition mammal hair and a fraction of dinosaur feather)
- Have additionally lately discovered blood-sucking mosquitoes and dinosaur fossils collectively, which implies mosquitoes might have bit the dinosaurs
- Different dinosaurs that lived across the identical time and place embody the nodosaurid Europelta, allosauroids, iguanodontids, and titanosauriformes
- Different animals embody fish, turtles, crocodiles, mammals, and bugs
The phrase “mark” is a crucial time period in ichnology, however its precise that means is disputed.
Your assist means a lot to us and retains us going! In the event you’re a dinosaur fanatic, be a part of our rising neighborhood on Patreon at patreon.com/iknowdino