With winter now upon us, we all know the the nice previous British climate is bound to dish out some moist and wild climate, so it’s seemingly that many horses will likely be carrying turnout rugs. So, to assist your horse or pony stay heat and dry, right here is our full information on how one can waterproof horse rugs…
How are rugs waterproofed?
When most rugs are made, a water-proof membrane is utilized to the underside of the material to offer the waterproof high quality. How waterproof the rug stays, each initially and over time, relies upon an excellent deal on the standard of this membrane, as the standard additionally marks the distinction between cheaper and dearer rugs .
One of the best ways to examine your rug is waterproof is to make use of a sink or massive tub, lay the rug excessive and create a small indent – make sure you select an space of the rug with no fittings. Then pour a glass or two of water into the indent and permit the water to pool. The denier layer ought to maintain the water and never permit any seepage to the within.
Easy methods to waterproof horse rugs
Firstly, cleansing is necessary with regards to rug care and protecting your rugs in the very best situation.
Correct care merchandise and strategies are necessary. Many rug producers present cleansing directions for every particular person rug, and it is best to stick to those directions as standard detergents go away behind residues that hurt water-repellency.
Some producers advocate washing your rugs in a specifically designed wash bag, which may help to stop the breakage of any straps, pockets, and buckles which can be hooked up to the rug.
By no means use material softener, because it deteriorates the rug’s breathability, water-repellency, and wicking capabilities.
Water-repellency received’t final eternally. Over time, the factory-applied water-repellency will put on off, however you shouldn’t throw your rugs away at this level, as you possibly can clear them totally after which re-add water-repellency, whereas sustaining breathability.
There are a lot of water repellent sprays, such because the Lincoln waterproofing aerosol, and washes, akin to this product from Nikwax, particularly formulated for horse blankets out there in the marketplace.
Skilled rug cleaners advocate that you just waterproof and re-waterproof your rugs as soon as every year utilizing equestrian rug waterproofing brokers. Alternatively, you possibly can ship your rugs to a rug cleaner and waterproofing specialist, the place they are going to deal with your rugs for you.
Tips about waterproofing a horse rug – and how one can preserve it waterproof
- Machine wash artificial rugs with warning, following the rug producer’s directions in addition to checking the capability of your washer.
- Solely use chilly water when washing an artificial rug to assist stop damaging the membrane – you’ll destroy the waterproofing solely if you happen to use sizzling or heat water
- Keep away from utilizing detergents or any sort of chemical on artificial waterproof rugs as this will harm the waterproofing membrane.
- Don’t use excessive strain when washing your rugs as it’s going to harm the rug pores and can permit water to leak via instantly.
- By no means use a harsh bristled brush to wash the outer denier, you possibly can spike the membrane
- By no means put a rug away damp or sweaty for lengthy intervals of time. Mould will eat away on the membrane over time.
- UV will ultimately have an effect on the liner over an extended time period. When rugs will not be getting used, keep away from leaving them out in direct solar for days or even weeks at a time.
- Earlier than storing your rug away, guarantee it’s dry and at room temperature. Don’t take immediately from a heat sunny clothesline and pack it away, as this may be detrimental to the waterproofing membrane. Permit the rug to chill down and air at room temperature for a couple of hours earlier than storing.
- As soon as your rug is able to be saved, folding them into massive laundry baggage will assist to maintain them clear, dry and safe.
If you’re questioning “Which rug ought to I placed on my horse?”, right here is our step-by-step horse rugging information, relying
Credit score: Andrew Sydenham/Horse and Hound
Credit score: Future
With mud and moist climate a relentless downside throughout the winter, Horse & Hound presents some helpful recommendations on the
Horse & Hound journal, out each Thursday, is filled with all the newest information and reviews, in addition to interviews, specials, nostalgia, vet and coaching recommendation. Discover how one can take pleasure in the journal delivered to your door each week, plus choices to improve your subscription to entry our on-line service that brings you breaking information and reviews in addition to different advantages.