Honey extractors are the usual relating to harvesting honey, however you’ll be able to harvest with out one. One technique of honey harvesting known as ‘crush and pressure’ presents a easy different. Hold studying to seek out out when and why I exploit this technique, plus how I do it.
What’s the Distinction?
Honey extraction permits the beekeeper to spin the honey from the combs whereas preserving the combs intact. The beekeeper harvests frames of honey from their hives, slices off the highest of the comb (the honey cappings) and locations the frames (now with open cells of honey) in a massive, cylindrical piece of apparatus known as an extractor. The extractor spins the honey frames, flinging honey out of the cells utilizing centrifugal drive. The honey is now seperated from the comb and be jarred. The empty combs (stickies) are returned to the bees for reusue. This technique permits the bees to make extra honey with out having to spend time and vitality on rebuilding their honey combs.
The crush and pressure technique doesn’t protect the honey combs. The whole honey comb is crushed up after which strained by a sieve or cheesecloth which seperates the honey from the crushed comb. When you use this technique the bees should rebuild their comb befofe they will make extra honey. So, you is likely to be pondering: why would you employ this technique? There are lots of eventualities the place I want this technique. I’ll checklist some beneath.
After I Use the Crush & Pressure Technique:
- I’m harvesting from a unique type hive like a prime bar hive or warre hive.
- I don’t have time to arrange and clear up the extractor, which is labor intensive.
- I’m solely harvesting a small quantity of honey.
- I need to harvest the wax, not simply the honey.
- The comb is outdated and I don’t need to return it to the colony.
- The picket frames are outdated or damaged and I don’t need to return them to the hive.
- I’m lowering the colony and don’t intend to return the stickies to the hive.
- It’s the top of the season, and I don’t need to retailer empty comb over the winter.
Learn how to Crush and Pressure Honey
- Begin by reducing the honeycomb out the body with a knife. Do that over a clear floor or in a big shallow pan.
- Finely crush the wax utilizing dough cutter instruments, so the honey releases.
- Subsequent, selected a technique to separate the wax from the honey. You possibly can filter wax out utilizing cheese fabric or a steel sieve.
- As soon as the honey is strained, put it in clear jars and course of the dear wax.
Click on right here to take a look at a enjoyable video of my course of on my Instagram.
Slicing the comb into strips with a crinkle cutter earlier than crushing, as this helps make crushing simpler. When reducing, purpose for items which can be concerning the width of your dough cutter or mashing device. Remember that if the comb is outdated, it may be laborious or not possible to crush the wax totally easy.
Should-Have Instruments to Crush & Stain
Most of those honey harvest instruments can be found on my Amazon Storefront.
- Stainless Metal Dough Blender
- Stainless Metal Crinkle Cutter or Dough Cutter
- Silicone Spatula
- Massive Shallow Pan like a Bain Marie or Steam Desk Catering Dish
- Cheese Material or Steel Sieve
- Honey Bucket with Spout
- Massive storage bin for Frames
I prefer to make honey harvest cleanup simpler by masking my work floor with massive, skinny kitchen towels or parchment paper to catch drips. Cleansing as you go helps a ton too.
I additionally maintain a ceramic bowl or plate close by to set my honey-covered instruments on. Any honey pooled on the plate goes into the honey bucket, so none goes to waste.
Sticky surfaces and instruments get wiped down with sizzling water, dish cloths, and a tiny little bit of cleaning soap.
Be taught As You Go
Each time I harvest honey, I study one thing worthwhile about my instruments and strategies, or I sharpen a ability. I’ve a number of weblog posts, the place I’ve documented little issues I’ve realized alongside the best way. For instance, in Learn how to Inform If Your Hive is Sturdy, I discuss how a number of honey shouldn’t be all the time an indication of power. In case you have questions or have realized one thing alongside your jouney, please share within the feedback beneath! And don’t neglect about my in-person and on-line lessons, in case you’re itching to study extra or refresh your information.